Gov-Relations Logo

Charities That Help With Moving Expenses

Written by: John Crawford
Last updated: January 30, 2024

For struggling families, it takes a lot of effort and money to move homes during a difficult time. Residential mobility is influenced by your family's needs and current situation, but more importantly, your finances. Whether you're relocating locally or across multiple states, there are various moving expenses to consider — from obtaining a mortgage to hiring movers.

Fortunately, there are charities and organizations dedicated to helping low-income families with moving expenses. Finding a program or charity that fits your needs might alleviate some of the stress of moving by providing financial or physical assistance.

Low-income families can take advantage of local and national resources to help with the transportation and moving costs. By reducing hefty moving expenses, struggling families can spend more on basic necessities.

We rounded up several charities and organizations that provide moving grants to eligible families.

Salvation Army

A reputable philanthropic organization, Salvation Army aims to alleviate poverty through community outreach programs. With over 8,000 locations nationwide and more than three million volunteers, Salvation Army has a wide-reaching opportunity to provide monetary aid to low-income families going through an emergency. 

Aside from financial assistance, education grants, and employment training, they can also assist with moving expenses. Furthermore, Salvation Army can also provide free furniture to families in need.

Eligibility Criteria

There are a few Salvation Army programs that offer moving assistance. To determine what kind of assistance you're eligible for, you'll need to show proof of your low-income status. It might be a good idea to keep your security deposit receipt or confirmation of your moving van rental.

How To Apply

You can check out their website to find information about the nearest Salvation Army in your area. Keep in mind that each location offers different programs, so it’s recommended to check what moving assistance is available before visiting their office. You can also contact them to inquire about their available moving aid.

Catholic Charities

Catholic Charities USA aims to eliminate poverty through religiously-affiliated organizations. In your search for a charity to cover moving expenses, you can take a look at their stable housing programs.

As part of their mission to eliminate homelessness, they can assist with moving expenses of low-income families. With over 160 locations nationwide, you can easily find one in your area. In addition to Catholic Charities, some churches can also help pay rent and bills of struggling families.

Eligibility Criteria

Catholic Charities relies on multiple sources to grant funding. If you are currently homeless or at risk of becoming one due to your income status, you might be eligible for their programs. Individuals who flee their homes due to domestic violence may also be qualified.

How To Apply

If you are moving, Catholic Charities offers grants and other moving assistance locally, so start by finding the closest agency in your relocation. You can also contact their headquarters through their hotline, 703-549-1390.


For nearly a century, the YWCA has committed itself to eliminating racism, empowering women, and standing up to social injustices. This organization offers help for women who leave domestic abuse by providing financial assistance for moving costs.

Eligibility Criteria

You must live near a YWCA location to apply for financial moving aid. While the organization prioritizes women leaving abusive relationships, some sites have formal partnerships with other community organizations to provide moving assistance to low-income residents.

How To Apply

If you are interested in applying, contact your YWCA to explore their available grants. You can also head over to their website and view housing resources under the “Supportive Housing” category.

Modest Needs’ Self-Sufficiency Grants

Founded in 2002, Modest Needs is dedicated to helping struggling families by making small, one-time grants of up to $1,000. Getting these grants can help you if you're struggling to make ends meet temporarily, such as if you need assistance moving.

Eligibility Criteria

Modest Needs provide financial assistance to individuals or families living at or below the federal poverty line. They also grant aid to families in dire situations, such as unexpectedly relocating.

How To Apply

To apply, take the time to read the FAQs on their website before creating an account and submitting an application. The online application also requires you to submit your bank statement or recently filed tax return.

Federal Relocation Assistance Program

The Federal Relocation Assistance Program is funded by the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA). If a natural disaster damaged your home, this program offers resources to help you with moving costs. Aside from providing financial aid, it may also help with home repairs or temporary housing.

Eligibility Criteria

Families who are temporarily homeless due to natural disasters may be eligible for financial assistance. To determine which funding resources are available to you, they may conduct a home inspection.

How To Apply

You can apply on their official website. In the application form, you must explain the nature of the disaster and the damage it caused to your home. If you are displaced from your home, you can use the FEMA mobile app to locate temporary emergency shelters. However, keep in mind that they recommend calling 911 first if you need immediate assistance.

211 Programs

You can reach the 211 hotline directly to get information for the resources you need. Supported by the United Way, this program assists you in receiving moving assistance aids. They can also refer you to organizations that can help cover moving costs.

Eligibility Criteria

You can reach out to 211 over the phone toll-free or via the internet. Your 211 hotline operator can help you evaluate the qualifications of the support services in your area.

How To Apply

The 211 operators can help you get the resources you need by referring you to organizations and local agencies. They can also provide you links to applications for services, including those that offer grants for one-time emergencies and moving assistance.


Leaving your home and moving to a new place can be stressful. Fortunately, some organizations and charities can ease the financial costs of moving for low-income families.

To get financial assistance, you should start exploring your options early on. Filing an application before moving gives you the greatest chance of receiving grants and aid.

Are you interested in learning more about the various programs and foundations that can help you with your financial needs? Check out Gov Relations' resources to learn more!

John Crawford
John Crawford is a dedicated researcher who has devoted his career to studying the intricacies of government benefits programs and their impact on individuals and communities. Armed with a Ph.D. in Social Policy and a strong analytical mind, John has contributed valuable insights through his extensive research projects. His work informs policymakers, enabling them to make data-driven decisions to improve social care programs. John's commitment to evidence-based research has made him a respected figure in the field, advocating for more equitable and effective government benefit policies.
Gov-Relations | Subscribe Now!
Gov-Relations | Subscribe Now! Gov-Relations | Subscribe Now!
    Gov-Relations Logo
    Gov-Relations is where people may seek information on funding opportunities. With our help, we hope our readers are reducing paperwork and simplifying their grant application procedure. We provide data quality reviews, assistance, and informative articles to assist applicants in their journey to completing and submitting grant applications.
    (949) 695-8823
    17595 Harvard Ave. C2480-B Irvine, CA 92614
    © 2024 Gov-Relations. All Rights Reserved.