US Government Guides
- Trade Finance Guide – This guide is designed to help U.S. companies, especially small and medium-sized enterprises, learn the basics of trade finance. This guide helps you turn your export opportunities into actual sales and achieve the ultimate goal of getting paid—especially on time—for these sales. Concise, two-page chapters offer the basics on numerous financing techniques, from open accounts, to government assisted foreign-buyer financing. This guide is courtesy of the International Trade Administration.
- Developing an Export Strategy – This basic guide provided by the US Department of Commerce addresses the first steps of deciding if exporting is right for your company. Focuses on determining if your company is ready to export, and if so what are the basic strategy choices to make when developing an export plan. Includes a number of real-world examples.
- ITAR and EAR Violations – This guide entitled “Don’t Let This Happen to You: Actual Investigations of Export Control and Antiboycott Violations” was published in July 2014 by Export Enforcement of the Bureau of Industry and Security of the US Department of Commerce. It goes over civil and criminal penalties, voluntary disclosures, fees, fines, penalties, and asset forfeiture. Additionally it covers Export Control Reform (ECR) and Export Compliance.
Foundations of Exporting from Export University
Donald Ellison of Government Relations, LLC was the course director for a conference at the College of William and Mary, which was sponsored by the Virginia-District of Columbia DEC (District Export Council). Below are a few of the presentations available for download:
- An Overview of Export Enforcement – Given by Peter Zube who is a Special Agent from the Office of Export Enforcement
- Export Control Reform (ECR)-Driven License Submissions – First presentation given by Steven Stoddard from the Munitions Control Division, Office of Strategic Industries and Economic Security, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
- Establishing New Territory 600-Series Commodities – Second presentation given by Steven Stoddard from the Munitions Control Division, Office of Strategic Industries and Economic Security, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS)
- Developing an Export Management System (EMS) – Given by Dr David Ellison who is Vice President of Government Relations, LLC
- Going Global Defense Initiative – Given by Theodora E. von Hohenstaufen Noll who is the Defense Initiative Program Manager of the Virginia Economic Development Partnership (VEDP)
- The Year in Trade 2014, Operation of the Trade Agreements Program – This is the full in-depth report, a summary of which was presented by Elizabeth Nesbitt who is a Senior International Trade Analyst (Pharma/Biotech/Nanotech) from the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC)
Community & Industry Outreach
As part of Government Relations, LLC’s ongoing efforts to increase exports and boost profits for US companies, we partner with various parties to reach different industries.
- Using Export Control Regulations to Boost Profits and Kill Competition – This presentation was given by Don Ellison & Dr David Ellison in conjunction with Axeon.net