Gov-Relations Logo

Housing Assistance For Veterans With Bad Credit

Written by: Jody Adams
Last updated: January 31, 2024

Veterans can have bad credit for many reasons. They might have been unable to keep up with their debt repayments due to active duty, deployment in different parts of the world, or any service-connected disability that may have prevented them from earning a substantial income. 

The U.S. government offers housing and rent assistance through V.A. home loans to veterans with bad credit. Through the different home loans offered by the V.A., veterans can get various housing assistance for veterans with bad credit. 

For nearly all the housing assistance programs offered by the V.A., there are no credit score requirements, minimum income, down payment, or employment verification requirements. Military personnel who have served for the following durations are eligible to receive V.A. housing assistance irrespective of their credit history, but they must pay the closing cost.

  • Those who have served for a minimum of 90 days during a war.
  • Service members who have served for a minimum of 181 days during peacetime.

This article aims to provide veterans with resources to improve their quality of life within their homes and help veterans who are currently homeless. If you are disabled and are struggling to pay for your children's education, read our blog post on scholarships for students with disabled parents.

Programs That Offer Housing Assistance For Veterans With Bad Credit

In the following sections, we will discuss in detail the different programs available to veterans with a bad credit score.

V.A. Loans

A VA home loan with bad credit may be easier to get than many military applicants think. Veterans with major credit problems, such as bankruptcy or foreclosure, can obtain V.A. mortgage guarantees due to the V.A.'s recognition that some active-duty and retired service members face certain unforeseen financial challenges. 

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers downpayment-free mortgages, housing assistance for veterans with a service-connected disability, and rental assistance to eligible active and retired military personnel. For borrowers who are buying or refinancing their primary residence, V.A. loans are available. 

Rental properties and vacation homes are not eligible for financing under the program. Private lenders make home loans to eligible borrowers with the V.A.'s guarantee. The VA guarantees mortgages to veterans with low credit scores. 

However, the maximum loan size will be limited based on household income and debts due to V.A. loan guidelines that require a maximum debt-to-income ratio (DTI) for approval of the V.A. home loan. To obtain a V.A. home loan, you must also obtain a certificate of eligibility (COE). 

United States Veteran's Initiative

U.S. Vets is dedicated to ending veteran homelessness in America. It is simply not appropriate for veterans to live on the streets. Veterans deserve all the opportunities they can get to live with dignity and independence. 

Every veteran needs to have a place they can call home. Using a housing First approach, U.S. Vets provides housing to veterans. Veterans and their families who are at-risk, low-income, and homeless can benefit from their housing programs, both temporarily and permanently.

The following statistics shed light on the impact of programs by U.S. Vets on vulnerable veterans and their families.

  • More than 20,000 veterans were supported.
  • 393,093 beds were offered to veterans at various U.S. Vets locations.
  • U.S. Vets helped over 1,236 veterans with job placements through its 888 employment partners.
  • U.S. Vets offered 57,782 supportive counseling sessions to vulnerable veterans.
  • Veterans received 3,061 permanent housing placements.
  • 440,141 meals were served to struggling veterans in U.S. Vets mess halls.

U.S. Vets provides four housing programs to help veterans combat homelessness and achieve housing security.

  • Emergency Housing

While working on permanent housing placement, US VETS offers emergency and shelter beds to provide a safe place to stay for veterans and their families. Shelters are in Long Beach, the Inland Empire, Wai'anae, and Barber's Point.

  • Transitional Housing

Veterans can transition to permanent supportive housing or independent living through U.S. Vets' transitional housing programs. 

Our residential sites offer supportive, therapeutic communities with career, mental health, and wellness support to help veterans transition to civilian life. Inglewood, Wai'anae, Inglewood in the Inland Empire, Phoenix, Prescott, Houston, Las Vegas, and Washington D.C. are the various cities that offer transitional housing.

  • Permanent Housing

For economically independent veterans who prefer to interact with other veterans, leased Housing on US VETS campuses may be an attractive option. In addition to rent assistance, Us Vets also provides addiction counseling, one-on-one counseling, group counseling, and job placement assistance. 

Phoenix, Houston, Inland Empire, Las Vegas, Barber's Point, Long Beach, Inglewood, Prescott, and Washington, D.C. provide permanent housing for veterans.

  • Housing Development

Veterans and their families cUS Vets launched a housing departmentts. A housing department was launched by U.S. Vets in 2017 to build supportive housing for veterans all across the country for veterans who are either homeless or at risk of homelessness. 

These supportive housing units may be emergency, transitional, or permanent. U.S. Vets' goal is to provide even more housing and services to veterans to ensure they never have to sleep on the streets.

If someone in your family was a World War 2 veteran, you must check out our blog post on scholarships for grandchildren of World War 2 veterans.

Housing Assistance For Disabled Veterans 

For eligible veterans blinded, paralyzed, or otherwise disabled during their service in the U.S. military, the federal government provides grants to assist them in buying, building, or adapting homes adapted to their needs. The SAHSHA, and TRA programs were designed to help disabled veterans live more independently temporarily.

SAH and SHA are similar grants, with the SHA grant being available to veterans who live but do not own a home. Specially adapted homes can be constructed on fresh lots, on land already owned, or on existing homes remodeled for disabled residents. 

Veterans with disabilities can also apply the grant to a home for which they paid off their principal mortgage even before they received V.A. assistance.

The VA can waive the funding fees associated with VA-backed mortgages for disabled veterans and adaptive housing grants. Renting assistance is also available through the V.A. for those without homes or who don't wish to own one.

To find out more about government and private assistance programs that can help you with your living situation, explore the rest of Gov-Relations. If you are a disabled individual, read our blog post on how to get a free air conditioner for disabled people

Jody Adams
Jody Adams is an accomplished editor-in-chief with a deep understanding of social care and government benefits issues. With a background in journalism and a master's degree in Public Policy, Jody has spent her career shaping the narrative around social policies and their impact on society. She has worked with renowned publications, effectively bridging the gap between complex policy analysis and public understanding. Jody's editorial expertise ensures that vital information on social care and government benefits reaches a broad audience, empowering individuals to make informed decisions.
Gov-Relations | Subscribe Now!
Gov-Relations | Subscribe Now! Gov-Relations | Subscribe Now!
    Gov-Relations Logo
    Gov-Relations is where people may seek information on funding opportunities. With our help, we hope our readers are reducing paperwork and simplifying their grant application procedure. We provide data quality reviews, assistance, and informative articles to assist applicants in their journey to completing and submitting grant applications.
    (949) 695-8823
    17595 Harvard Ave. C2480-B Irvine, CA 92614
    © 2024 Gov-Relations. All Rights Reserved.